When you go vegan, your definition of what you consider “cheese” is stretched pretty far. This vegan cheese recipe doesn’t exactly taste like real cheese, but it makes a great substitute for cheese on dishes like pizza, mac n’ cheese, casseroles, tortillas, and a whole bunch more. Most importantly, it is really easy to make and doesn’t require any special ingredients. Feel free to go crazy with the spices and adjust it to your liking!
Vegan Corn Cheese Recipe
- 1 cup corn
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (you can buy nutritional yeast in bulk for cheap online here)
- 1/2 tsp salt (yeah, I know this technically makes it 4 ingredients 😉
- Seasonings to your liking: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and liquid smoke are all really good…
- Put the corn and olive oil in a high-speed blender or food processor like a Magic Bullet. I used the mill attachment on my blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and optional seasonings. Mix thoroughly and enjoy!
How This Recipe Came to Be
Like a lot of my vegan recipes, this recipe came partly out of laziness and partly out of exasperation. I was making pizza for dinner for my 4 year old. Usually, I just crumble some tofu on top of the pizza and call it cheese. But I didn’t have any tofu. And it was looking really colorless. I wanted to add some corn, but my daughter recently decided she hates corn.
Hmmm… Corn is yellow. Cheese is yellow.
Maybe if I blend up the corn and call it cheese, my daughter won’t know the difference.
It turns out that I was right. She loved the stuff and now I spread it on all sorts of stuff. Plus, nutritional yeast is full of vitamins and minerals (read more about nutritional yeast here). Here are some pics (not so pretty, sorry) of things I put this vegan corn cheese on. Experiment and enjoy!