- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-grain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: 1 tbsp sugar
- Flax egg (made by mixing 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tsp hot water)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed (you can also use 1/2 cup applesauce or other boiled fruit)
- 1 tbsp oil + more for oiling the pan
- 1 cup plant milk (I use soy)
- Your choice of berries, nuts, cocoa powder, superfoods, or whatever you’d like!
- Mix all the dry ingredients (through the sugar) in a bowl
- Add the flax egg
- Add the mashed banana
- Add the oil
- Gradually add the plant milk
- Mix until well incorporated. Don’t overmix. It will cause the gluten in the flour to stick together and you will get really chewy, hard pancakes instead of light, fluffy ones!
- Add whatever extras you want, such as berries or nuts.
- Put a bit of oil on your pan and heat over high. When the oil is HOT, reduce the heat to medium.
- Spoon some batter onto the pan. Always do a test pancake to make sure the pan is hot enough. The first one usually gets screwed up.
- When the edges of the pancake start to look dried out and bubbles appear in the center, it is time to flip the pancake.
- I usually make my pancakes small (child sized) because I don’t have a good pan. If you have a non-stick pan, go ahead and make them larger!
- Serve topped with maple syrup, marmalade, nut butter, chopped nuts, sliced fruit, or whatever your heart desires! Enjoy.
This batch is darker colored because I put blueberries in them 🙂
Makes: About 12 small pancakes
- Category: Vegan Recipe
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Foolproof Vegan Pancakes