- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, halved
- Handful of dulse or kelp seaweed, reconstituted in warm water first
- 1-inch of fresh ginger, cut into strips (or 1 tsp of powdered ginger)
- 1-inch of fresh turmeric, cut into strips (or 1 tsp of powdered turmeric)
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1 tsp caraway seeds*
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 10–12 cups of water
- Heat the olive oil in a big pot. Add the onions and saute until fragrant.
- Add the carrots, celery, garlic, ginger, and turmeric. Saute for about 7 minutes.
- Add all of the other ingredients except the spirulina.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for at least 45 minutes. You can also make this in a slow cooker and cook it for as long as 24 hours.
- When done cooking, strain the broth out through a colander. If you aren’t going to use all the broth at once, you can freeze it for later.
- Before serving, add a pinch of spirulina to each bowl.
*Caraway seeds have a really strong taste, but are one of the key superfoods in this recipe. Omit if you don’t like the taste.
- Category: Vegan Recipe
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan Bone Broth