- 2 tsp instant yeast (or 1 cube of fresh yeast if you can find it)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 ¼ cup warm water
- About 10 big leaves of kale (or other leafy greens)
- 1 ½ cups whole grain flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Optional seasonings: garlic, parsley, basil, paprik
- Prepare the yeast. Put the yeast in a mug with the sugar and some of the warm water. The yeast will eat the sugar and start to grow. Let the yeast grow for at least 15 minutes. Don’t use hot water because it could kill the yeast!
- Prepare the kale. Remove the hard stems and ribs. In a blender, blend the kale with the remaining water.
- Make the bread dough. In a large bowl, combine the flours, salt, and optional seasonings together. Make a well in the center. Slowly add the oil and yeast. Then slowly add the kale-water mixture. Mix with a fork, gradually drawing in more flour until it is all incorporated.
- When the dough gets too thick to mix with the fork, transfer it to a floured surface and start kneading it with your hands.
- Cover the dough and let it rise until it has doubled in size. Depending on the quality of your yeast and the temperature of your home, this could take about 20 to 40 minutes.
- Knead again and let rise one more time, about 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes. It will be slightly golden outside when it is done, and will make a hollow sound when you bang on it with a fork.
- Category: Vegan Recipe
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Green Kale Bread