- 2cups oats
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- cup rejuvelac or cup plain unsweetened nondairy yogurt or 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tbsp medium brown miso
- roasted bell pepper, skinned and seeded
- tsp salt
- 1tsp prepared mustard
- cup refined coconut oil or canola oil (optional but gives the cheese a better feel)
- 1 tbsp agar powder or 3 tbsp agar flakes
- 1 tbsp carrageenan powder
- Cook the oats. Put the water and oats in a heavy medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until thick, about 5 minutes
- Process the Ingredients: Transfer to a blender. Add the nutritional yeast, rejuvelac, miso, bell pepper, salt, mustard and optional oil. Process until smooth and creamy.
- Thicken the Cheese: Transfer to a heavy medium saucepan and whisk in the agar and carrageenan. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently with the whisk, until thick, 4 to 5 minutes
- Form the Cheese: Pour the mixture into a glass or nonreactive metal mold and smooth the top. Cover and let cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, until firm.
Storage Notes: Wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in a ziplock bag, Oat American Cheese will keep for about 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 4 months in the freezer.
- Category: Vegan Recipe
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: American Oat Cheese