Foolproof Vegan Pancakes Recipe
Vegan pancakes is one of the first recipes you will need to master after going vegan. This vegan pancake recipe is super simple to make, doesn’t require any special ingredients other than flax meal (which is a vegan staple), and can be really easily adjusted. I particularly like putting walnuts and berries into the batter, but feel free to get creative!
How to Make Vegan Pancakes
Making vegan pancakes isn’t that difficult. It really comes down to replacing the two non-vegan ingredients which are typically in pancakes: milk and eggs.
The milk in pancakes is pretty easy to replace; just use plant milk instead. Be warned that some types of plant milk are more watery and less fatty than others. I prefer to use a fatty soy milk when making vegan pancakes (none of that low-fat stuff!). If you use rice milk or a low-fat plant milk, then you might need to reduce the amount of milk you put into the batter slightly.
Eggs don’t actually add any flavor to pancakes, but they do serve three very important functions.
- Add moisture to the pancakes
- Act as a leavening agent to help the batter rise and give them their fluffiness
- Act like a “glue” to help the pancakes hold their shape
There is no one perfect replacement for eggs. You have to multiple vegan ingredients to get all of these properties. In this vegan pancake recipe, the mashed banana adds moisture. The baking soda and baking powder act as leavening agents. And the flax “egg” acts like the glue to give the pancakes their shape, and also adds some moisture too. Flax is also a great vegan source of Omega 3.
Foolproof Vegan Pancake Recipe
Makes: About 12 small pancakes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-grain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Optional: 1 tbsp sugar
- Flax “egg” (made by mixing 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tsp hot water)
- 1 ripe banana, mashed (you can also use 1/2 cup applesauce or other boiled fruit)
- 1 tbsp oil + more for oiling the pan
- 1 cup plant milk (I use soy)
- Your choice of berries, nuts, cocoa powder, superfoods, or whatever you’d like!
- Mix all the dry ingredients (through the sugar) in a bowl
- Add the flax egg
- Add the mashed banana
- Add the oil
- Gradually add the plant milk
- Mix until well incorporated. Don’t overmix. It will cause the gluten in the flour to stick together and you will get really chewy, hard pancakes instead of light, fluffy ones!
- Add whatever extras you want, such as berries or nuts.
- Put a bit of oil on your pan and heat over high. When the oil is HOT, reduce the heat to medium.
- Spoon some batter onto the pan. Always do a test pancake to make sure the pan is hot enough. The first one usually gets screwed up.
- When the edges of the pancake start to look dried out and bubbles appear in the center, it is time to flip the pancake.
- I usually make my pancakes small (child sized) because I don’t have a good pan. If you have a non-stick pan, go ahead and make them larger!
- Serve topped with maple syrup, marmalade, nut butter, chopped nuts, sliced fruit, or whatever your heart desires! Enjoy.
Want to go vegan but not sure how to get started? Download Vegan Made Easy
This ultra-modern eBook is divided into 3 parts: What Do Vegans Eat, Vegan Nutrition, and Making the Transition. It gives you the straight-forward information you need to feel empowered to make the switch to plant-based eating and living. Learn more here